This competition by grade level divisions gives students an opportunity to study the art of composing and have their compositions critiqued by a published composer! Students not only receive that valuable feedback, but they get to have their compositions published in a booklet and, if they are a 1st or 2nd place winner in their division, perform in the Composition Festival Recital.
Recital Date - TBD
Submission Deadline is Saturday, September 24th, 2022
Judge is Sam Ecoff
*** See Contest Results Here! ***
Composition Festival Information and Guidelines
The composition contest is open to MMTA members and their students.
· Only one entry per person may be submitted.
· Compositions must be the original work of the person entering it. Teachers and parents may give
compositional instruction, but not help actually compose the piece.
· Compositions that have been entered into a previous MMTA Composition festival and won an award
cannot be re-submitted for review. Compositions that have been submitted for a previous MMTA
Composition festival but were not selected can be re-entered only if they have significant changes.
· The composition must be notated. If the composition is hand-written, it must be in the composer’s own
handwriting. At the teacher’s discretion, the composer may instead choose to submit a copy generated on
computer-notation software, but this copy must be produced by the composer.
Note: teachers may have to assist much more with notating pieces if they are not able to meet face-to-face with students.
· Non-traditional notation is acceptable, especially for younger students.
· Number all measures.
· Compositions may be written for any instrument(s) or voice(s) or ensemble. Accompaniments are not required.
· Divisions similar to the example below will be used. The divisions will be adjusted by the committee depending on the number of students entering in each division.
Example of Divisions:
Division 1: Kindergarten-Grade 2
Division 2: Grades 3-5
Division 3: Grades 6-8
Division 4: Grades 9-12
Division 5: Amateurs (adult)
Division 6: Collegiate Musicians and Music Teachers
· Winners and Honorable Mentions will be named in each category at the discretion of the judge. These students will also be noted in the printed booklet of pieces.
Composition Festival Entry Instructions
To submit applications, please go to the MMTA team Google Drive. In the Composition Festival 2021 folder you will find a Registration spreadsheet where you may enter the information for each student.
2020 41st Street
Two Rivers, WI 54241
All entries will be submitted to the Composition Festival 2021 folder “Composition Contest Entries” on the Google Drive. There are folders for each division - please ensure you are putting the PDF and audio files into the correct folder.
Note- An explanation video for the registration process is in the Composition Festival Google Drive for MMTA members to view.
Composition Festival Chair
Download Full Festival Information and Guidelines Below.